About the company
Milanote is a visual workspace for creative thinking. It's used by designers, writers, marketers and other creative professionals from companies like Facebook, Apple, Uber, Dropbox, Google, Adobe, Sony, Nike etc.
We launched on Feb 7 and reached #1 on Product Hunt, the front page of Hacker News, and #1 on Designer News—check the threads on each to see the great response. Milanote has also been written up on The Next Web, Lifehacker etc.
We’ve just closed a round of investor funding (announced on TechCrunch) and now we’re looking to kick off the next stage of growth by hiring our first full time marketer.
About the role
We’ve had over 30,000 signups in our first month (mainly through press generated by our launch). Now we’re looking for sustainable, repeatable ways to acquire customers for the long term. To develop this fundamental part of our business we need someone strong in both strategy and tactics.
1. Customer acquisition and growth (number 1 priority)
We have a good idea who our audience is and why they are using Milanote. We need someone to hit the ground running with the hands-on skills to bring more people to our product using appropriate channels/campaigns (SEO, Social, Paid, Content marketing, Retargeting, etc.)
We expect plenty of experimentation, but always with sound analytics behind it. This is very important to us - you must demonstrate to us your experience using data to drive decisions.
Over time we expect channels and tactics to become clearer, and you'll know our key driving numbers intimately - conversion, CAC, LTV, churn - these are yours to own across the funnel.
2. Long-term brand building
Because of the nature of our audience and product, this role offers a great opportunity for you to build a very special brand from the ground up.
A brand that celebrates creative people in the same way Nike celebrates athletes - that's the scale we're aspiring to. People are already using Milanote to write novels, create beautiful designs and plan amazing creative projects—our customers are our heroes and we want to share their stories with the world.
Working closely with our CEO we expect you to be helping us develop our story and long-term assets to fulfil this vision alongside the day-to-day acquisition program. Expect to have long lunches talking about brand positioning, our story, and where we will take things into the future.
3. Scaling the operation
As our company grows there will be an opportunity for you to build out the marketing department into a cross-functional team with people focused on different parts of the program. This will require carefully documenting the marketing framework we use and our processes.
We value collaboration and expect the marketing team will always be working extremely closely our product design and engineering team, and our customer success and support team to deliver a great brand experience at every touchpoint - no matter how big we grow.
About our workplace
- Milanote is based in a lovely calm office in the middle of Melbourne's CBD (about 2 minutes walk from Flinders St station). We have nice plants, nice decor and shared speakers which we take turns playing music on.
- Our team is pretty quiet, but very friendly and welcoming.
- About half of us have kids of various ages, so we're very flexible about things like school drop off, condensed work weeks, flexible start and finish times etc.
- We don't work crazy hours. We don't get drunk every Friday. Mostly we eat lunch together. Every now and then we go out together for a fancy dinner (but you don't have to come if you don't want to).
- You can wear whatever you like to work.
- Everyone at Milanote gets a credit card. If you need to buy software, books or training courses, you don't need to ask for permission.
- Because we're a startup, we don't have any official policies yet around things like paid parental leave, mentoring, training, development etc. But we're really supportive of all of these things in principle, so if they're important to you we'll make them happen.
- We genuinely believe that diverse teams produce the best work, and we're really committed to creating an inclusive workplace for people from all backgrounds. This is not just a token statement, we really care about this!
This is a special role for a special person.
- Hands-on, takes initiative, passionate about startups - we expect action from day 1. We need someone capable of devising, implementing, measuring and evaluating their own campaigns. We’re not interested in powerpoint presentations and long meetings - it’s all about execution.
- Data driven - the metrics will be the ultimate measure of success. We need someone who understands the importance of metrics for a SAAS business, and has genuine experience and passion for the numbers.
- Communication and writing skills - while a lot of the creative execution can be outsourced to contractors or performed by other team members (we have some great writers and designers) we expect you to have very strong communication and writing skills.
- Values - one of the most important requirements for this job is to live up to our company values. This stuff is more important to us than your specific skills, so please read them to find out if you're the right fit for Milanote. It's also the best way to get a feel for what we're like to work with.
- The chance to exert huge influence as a founding team member of a rising startup.
- An inspiring environment where you can do the best work of your career.
- The chance to sell a great product that people love using.
- A beautiful and inspiring brand aimed at creative people (like you!).
- Colleagues who can produce top notch creative to support your campaigns.
- A workplace completely free from politics, bureaucracy and red-tape.
- Significant equity in the company as a founding team member.